Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Image = The Tragic Loss of Greatness

I loved Philip Seymour Hoffman.  He significantly enhanced my life through his work.  Philip was one of a rare breed of "real" actors who completely commit to their characters and get lost in them.  There are countless movie stars who are skilled at playing the same part again & again, but there are few actors who actually transform themselves in their work. 

The list of American actors without matinee idol looks who submerge themselves into a role is very small.  Dustin Hoffman, Sean Penn & Paul Giamatti come readily to mind – and that’s about it.  What was truly remarkable about Philip Seymour Hoffman was that he traditionally fit into the role of a character actor but despite this image, he broke the rules and actually starred in films and did it well.  In less than 25 years he was triumphant in theater - both local and Broadway, indie films, and big budget Hollywood movies.  His sudden tragic death is a devastating loss for the entire entertainment industry. 

Over the past 72 hours, I have read a lot about the many great roles Philip Seymour Hoffman played – Boogie Nights, Almost Famous, Charlie Wilson's War, Doubt, Capote, etc.  But no one has mentioned my favorite PSH role ever – Flawless (1999).  PSH stars as a drag queen who becomes a vocal coach for Robert De Niro, a homophobic cop who has suffered a stroke.  I won’t say much except that Philip is transcendent and I highly recommend finding it and watching it.   
PSH in Flawless

I was fortunate to meet PSH at a Tribeca screening three years ago.  It was a completely inspiring documentary about a wonderful band in Haiti called When the Drum is Beating.  My friend and I spotted Philip as we were exiting the theater and I was struck dumb.  After working with talent for years, I am usually pretty cool around famous actors, but not this time.  What could I say to him that would even begin to elucidate my admiration?   My never shy friend said, “She loves you.  You have no idea how much she loves you,” and I said something of little importance.  PSH deflected the comments and just said, “Wasn’t that a great film?  What a really great film.”  He was the most normal guy who in that moment was just another film goer.  Not exactly a meaningful encounter but a memorable one for me, especially now. 

One of the few things in life that makes sense to me is great art.  Film, theater, music, literature...  I take solace in the joy of a great performance or an inspired piece of writing.   
Philips's death makes no sense to me.  How could this gifted actor be gone so soon? 
 
I don’t want to talk too much about how Philip died but there is something to say about the trend in entertainment.  Perhaps the elusive demon that plagues people with an addictive personality is the same characteristic that curses people of extraordinary talent.  Judy Garland, John Belushi, Heath Ledger, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Cory Monteith...  It is an all too frequent consequence for great artists.  My sincere hope is that Philip Seymour Hoffman will not be remembered for how he left us but for the incredible gifts that he left with us.             


1 comment:

  1. Very well written Antonia. He was my favorite actor. I think that he was a particular type of person; thoughtful, expressive, talented, but troubled. He gave a lot. and that's enough for me. I, as you, am grateful for what he brought into our lives.

    ReplyDelete