Monday, February 25, 2013

Image = Punching Your Weight


OK - so everyone's asking me what I thought about the Oscars and my answer is - in a word - disappointed.  From the moment I heard that Seth MacFarlane would be hosting, I thought it was a bad fit.  I feel he hasn't paid his dues for such an honor and he would be out of his league.  As the day of the show grew closer, I began to change my mind and decided to support him as a host, even tweeting yesterday that I was rooting for him to rock it.  But he didn't.  The opening sequence was a tedious, circuitous path to a disappointing payoff and most of his jokes were unnecessarily mean spirited.  The Oscars is supposed to be a celebration of the best of Hollywood and Seth MacFarlane does not represent that.  He's a smart, talented guy who made one movie last year that made a lot of money.  His Family Guy audience is mostly young people and that's who goes to see movies like Ted, so you do the mathMy parents, who have been going to the movies their whole lives don't know who Seth MacFarlane is and don't care.   I'm not even sure why Seth agreed to host the Oscars because it definitely doesn't fit his image.  He's so cool and accomplished already - why did he need the Oscars? 

Kerry Washington
Jessica Chastain in Giorgio Armani
Jessica Chastain
Over the past few years, watching the Oscars and other award shows, I often find myself wanting more.  More glamour, more diverse nominations, more magic if you will.  Last night they had a great opportunity with the theme of "a tribute to movie musicals" to do a big splashy opening production number that would honor the history of movie musicals.  But they didn't.  Instead, the whole thing about Seth trying to steer the course of history to his favor took so long, there was very little time for music.  It could have been so...much...more.  The real musical tributes that followed later in the evening were definitely the highlight of an otherwise boring show.  Shirley Bassey, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Jennifer Hudson and her majesty Barbra's numbers were fantastic.  But I still wanted MORE!

  
In terms of fashion, my favorite dresses of the night were on Kerry Washington, Jessica Chastain, Halle Berry & Kristin Chenoweth.  I was shocked to hate Jennifer Lawrence's dress because she usually has a great sense of style.  (Her dress at the Independent Spirit Awards dress the night before was sensational - see below).  But not her Oscar dress.  I'm not a fan of that beigey/non color on pale skin.  And the color plus the train made it look like a wedding dress.  And what happened to Anne Hathaway who is usually so chic?  Again I hated the pale pink satin and the sharp edges on her wiry body.

Halle Berry in Versace
Halle Berry
Best female lead nominee Jennifer Lawrence arrives at the 2013 Film Independent Spirit Awards in Santa Monica
Jennifer Lawrence
In terms of awards, there were no surprises except for Ang Lee, which was a pleasant upset.  I was hoping for an eleventh hour upset with Best Actress too.  I wanted that nine year old to have a new golden toy.  But alas - it was not to be.  I guess I just have to be grateful that THE best film of the year is actually THE Best Picture.
  


BTW - if you don't know who Tony and Emmy award winner Kristin Chenoweth is, you are missing out on a major talent.  Go to her website right now and find out: http://www.kristin-chenoweth.com/ 

Kristin Chenoweth
              

No comments:

Post a Comment